Delicious, mouthwatering WFPB Spanish Paella made with fresh peppers, peas and vegan sausage.
Spanish Paella (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (optional, replace with 3 tablespoons purified water)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (uncooked) short grain brown rice
- 4 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional, replace with 1 tablespoon sumac)
- 14 ounce can diced or Fire Roasted tomatoes
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts
- 2 cups string beans, cut in pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 Vegan sausage, cut in pieces -optional- (Good brands are Field Roast, Tofurkey and Gusta)
- Parsley leaves for garnish
- Lemon wedges for garnish
In a large pan, add oil or 3 tablespoons of filtered water with onions, garlic, turmeric, bay leaves, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and red peppers. Cook for 5 minutes. Push veggies aside in pan to make way for rice.
Add brown rice and filtered water or veggie stock and sea salt or sumac. Cover and turn heat to simmer. Cook 25 minutes.
Add tomatoes on top of rice without stirring, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Add artichoke hearts and beans and cook 10 more minutes covered.
Add peas and sausage (if using), cook for 5 minutes and turn off heat. Let rest for 15 minutes and serve, garnished with parsley leaves and lemon wedges.