It's like a taco in a bowl. And adding the garnish (salad) on top of this casserole when you serve it really makes it. Much quicker and easier than putting individual tacos together and just as tasty. It's a one dish meal, which we love.
Taco Casserole (Serves 6) *Adapted from Mary McDougall
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, dice
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, fine dice
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained (Eden brand is great)
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained (Eden brand is great)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 four ounce can diced green chili peppers
- 1 package taco seasoning or make your own online version
- 1 avocado
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 head leafy lettuce or ½ clam shell Spring Mix lettuce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9 x 12 baking dish with corn tortillas. Cover with half of the Casserole ingredients above. This is the first layer.
Add a second layer of corn tortillas and spread on remaining Casserole ingredients.
Cover and bake 60 minutes.
To serve, put each serving of the Casserole on a plate and garnish with the Garnish ingredients.