Simple Red Lentils (Serves 2 - 4)
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock (salt free) or filtered water
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 3 inch piece kombu
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, (optional, replace with 1 tablespoon sumac)
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Ms. Dash, Extra Spicy or red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil (optional)
Place lentils in a large pan with the homemade vegetable stock or filtered water. (Red lentils don’t need to be washed, you can simply add stock or purified water and begin cooking.)
Add onion, garlic, grated ginger, turmeric and kombu. Bring to a boil, turn to low and cook covered 30 minutes or until lentils fall apart.
Add avocado oil (optional), sea salt or sumac, pepper and Mrs. Dash, Extra Spicy or red pepper flakes. Cook another 10 minutes.
Pull out kombu and cut very fine like confetti. Return to lentils and stir. (Kombu gives the body wonderful minerals and you won’t taste it, it just works wonders to improve health.) Serve and enjoy this delicious high protein dish.
To change the taste and flavor to left over lentils, simply add a new ingredient like zucchini, string beans, asparagus or frozen corn. We love these lentils, they are so filling and satisfying.