A wonderful soup this time of year. The sweet of the carrots, the bitter greens and the astringent lima beans with lemon and hemp hearts. I love soups that make a one dish meal.
White Bean & Kale Soup (Serves 4) *Adapted from Forks Over Knives
- 3 cups cooked lima, or butter beans, or cannellini beans (two 15 ounce cans drained)
- 5 cups vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, cut in chunky rounds
- 1 bunch kale, tear leaves away from stems and finely dice top of stems
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- ½ lemon, juiced
Add onion, garlic and carrots to vegetable stock in a large pan. Cook until all are tender (approximately 10 minutes).
Add cooked beans, kale and spices. Cook until kale is tender (approximately 10 minutes).
Take pan off stove. Add hemp hearts and lemon juice. Stir well and serve.