Mung Bean Stew (Serves 4)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (optional, replace with 2-3 tablespoons filtered water)
- 3 celery stalks, cut in diagonal slices
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mung beans, sorted for stones and rinsed well
- 3 carrots, cut in diagonal slices
- 1 zucchini, cut in half moons
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 bunch of kale, torn in small pieces
- 28 ounce can of Fire Roasted tomatoes
- 3-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ cup cashews blended on high speed to make a milk with 1 cup purified water
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- sea salt to taste (optional, replace with 1 tablespoon sumac)
- ground black pepper to taste
In a large pan add oil or filtered water, celery, onion and garlic. Cook at medium heat, stirring frequently until onions are beginning to soften.
Add mung beans and stir into vegetables. Add 4 cups homemade vegetable stock or filtered water, carrots, zucchini and Fire Roasted tomatoes. Cook covered on low heat for 20 minutes.
Add ginger, curry powder and turmeric and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Add cashew milk, kale and sea salt or sumac and ground black pepper. Cook an additional 10 minutes until kale is soft. Stir well. Adjust seasonings and serve.