You've never tasted Miso Soup like this. My body loves it.
Miso Vegetable Soup (Serves 4)
- 5 carrots, cut in rounds
- 2 parsnips, cut in rounds
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large yellow turnip, cubed
- 2 beets, cubed
- 10 inch long burdock root, cut in rounds
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 or more cups vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1/2 cabbage, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 bunch collard greens, torn or cut in small pieces
- 3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated into soup
Combine all vegetables except collard greens in a large soup pan. Add vegetable stock or filtered water to cover veggies by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until veggies are soft (approximately 30 to 45 minutes).
Ten minutes before vegetables are soft, add the collard greens.
Take 2 cups of liquid from the soup into a bowl and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of miso to the liquid (3 tablespoons if using a dark, well fermented miso or 4 tablespoons if adding a Shiro miso as part of your miso blend). Stir until dissolved.
Turn soup off and add miso liquid. You don’t want the soup to boil after adding the miso or it will destroy a lot of the beneficial nutrients. Mix thoroughly. Let sit 5 minutes for the miso to permeate. Serve and enjoy.