This dish is easy to make and very flavorful. It's great on whole grains or pasta.
Eggplant,, Mushroom, Peppers & Tomato Cacciatore (Serves 4)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, (optional, replace with 2 tablespoons filtered water)
- 12 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cubed in small cubes
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced small
- 28 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional, replace with 1 tablespoon sumac)
- Ground black pepper to taste
In a large skillet add avocado oil or 2 tablespoons filtered water, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté, stirring frequently. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
Add eggplant, peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, dried oregano and cook until vegetables are tender.
Add capers, red pepper flakes, sea salt or sumac and ground black pepper. Continue cooking 5 minutes or so until flavors infuse. Serve and enjoy.
Note: I love this dish much more when I add green lentils. It has more body and taste. The lentils are cooked in an Instant Pot and are very simple to prepare.
- 3 cups green lentils, washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sumac (optional)
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock or filtered water
Put all ingredients in an Instant Pot and cook for 10 minutes. Add cooked lentils to the Eggplant Cacciatore and enjoy.