Kabocha is our all time favourite squash, and this Kabocha Squash Curry is a hit because of it. The rich, deep flavour of Kabocha provides the perfect backdrop for a most delicious curry.
Kabocha Squash Curry (Serves 6)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 medium Kabocha squash, seeded and cut in cubes, do not peel
- 2 carrots, cut in rounds
- 1 - 28 ounce can garbanzo beans including liquid (Eden brand is salt free)
- 3 tablespoons diced red pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1½ cups cashew milk (see recipe below)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Optional: 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (as garnish)
In a large pan add vegetable stock or filtered water, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on low heat until onions are soft.
Add squash, carrots, garbanzo beans and bean liquid, and red peppers. Cook until squash and carrots are soft.
Add spices, curry paste, lime, unsweetened coconut, 1½ cups cashew milk and spinach. Stir well and let cook on low heat until greens wilt.
Serve and garnish with cilantro (if using it).
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 ½ cups filtered water
Blend ingredients in a high-speed blender for 30 to 60 seconds. Use 1½ cups of milk in Curry dish. Save the rest in a glass jar in refrigerator or make into a nut dressing for salads and greens. There are many nut dressings on our website: amazinghealtheffortlessly.com.