Wild rice has a very different and very robust flavour compared to regular rice. There's a reason for this: it isn't a grain. It's actually a seed. Combined with mushrooms and broccoli, it makes a wonderful, warm casserole the whole family will love. Use lots of Vegan Parmesan Cheese on top.
Wild Rice, Broccoli & Mushroom Casserole (Serves 4 - 6)
- 2 cups cooked wild and long grain rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 8 ounce Cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 large broccoli head, cut in small pieces
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot thickener
- 1 cup almond milk (Made using 1/3 cup almonds and 2/3 cup water. Add to high speed blender and blend until smooth.)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Precook the wild rice blend and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350º F.
In a large sauté pan, add avocado oil, onion, mushroom, broccoli, carrot and celery and cook until tender.
Sprinkle the arrowroot into the vegetables and stir to incorporate it. Cook for another minute or two.
Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Add the cooked rice and almond milk, stirring to combine. Continue cooking until it thickens and season with sea salt and pepper.
Fill an 8 inch X 8 inch casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.
The casserole is even better the next day and reheats well.