This is a great vegetable and bean dish from South Africa. So delicious served over baked yams.
Chakalaka (Serves 6) *Adapted from Lauren at NutritionFacts.org
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy or red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 finely diced carrots
- 6 – 8 cups diced cabbage
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced or 1 green pepper, diced
- ½ cup filtered water
- 28 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 - 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, or 4 cups cooked beans
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 2 medium-large yams, cooked
Add onion, garlic and ginger with 3 tablespoons of filtered water to a large pan. Sauté until onions are translucent. (Add more filtered water if needed.)
Add turmeric, coriander, thyme, paprika and Mrs. Dash or red pepper flakes. Stir well and then add tamari, coconut aminos, carrots, cabbage, raw peppers and water.
Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, black pepper, nutritional yeast and can of chopped green chilies. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes for beans to warm through.
Serve over cooked yams