Rich, warm and satisfying, this can be a whole meal by itself or serve it as a side dish to one of your favourite main courses.
Creamy Chickpea Mushroom Soup (Serves 4–6)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, cut in diagonal slices
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 carrots, cut in diagonal slices
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups cooked (of your favorite) whole grain, we usually use brown rice or brown rice with oat groats
- 28 ounce can (3½ cups) chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional, replace with 1 tablespoon sumac)
- black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cashew cream (see recipe below)
- 3 cups homemade stock or low sodium vegetable stock
- 6 cups of spinach
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
Add a little stock to your soup pot, then the onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms and sauté until tender.
Add carrots, rosemary and thyme and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Now add grain, beans (with their juice), sea salt or sumac, black pepper, cashew cream and stock. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Add spinach and cook until spinach wilts.
Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.
1 cup cashews to make cashew cream
2 cups filtered water to make cashew cream
Add cashews and water to a high speed blender and blend for 45-60 seconds, until smooth.