Trips to India introduced us to Biryani. It is a very healthy dish with lots of veggies, grain and nuts. So yummy.
Biryani (Serves 4-6)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 3 ¼ cups filtered water or veggie stock
- 3 carrots, sliced thinly
- ½ cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in cubes
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
In a large pan add onion, garlic and ginger in ¼ cup filtered water or veggie stock. Cook for 7 minutes until onions begin to wilt.
Now add the spices and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Add remaining filtered water or veggie stock, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, raisins and rice. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes.
Add peas, tomatoes and cashews and cook an additional 15 minutes.
Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.