These taste fabulous and especially wrapped in a large lettuce leaf with all the fixings!
Rice & Lentil Burgers (Makes 12 – 14)
- 4 cups purified water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1″ fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy or red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup chia seed (replace with additional flax if you don’t have chia)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (added after lentils are cooked)
Place rice and lentils in a pot, rinse, drain and add the water, onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, Mrs. Dash or red pepper flakes and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
Turn heat down to simmer and cook for 40 minutes until lentils are soft and rice is cooked.
Check to see there is no water in bottom of pan. If there is, cook another 10 minutes until water is gone. Add sea salt, flax, chia and avocado oil. Mix well and let cool for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. When the oven is up to temperature, shape the mix into burgers and place them on a cookie or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 30 minutes than flip to brown the other side for about 5 minutes more. They are ready to eat or you can freeze and enjoy when you wish.