This Beta-Carotene Soup has long been one of our favourites. It's so simple to make with a pure, sweet, rich taste of the squash and root veggies.
Beta-Carotene Soup (Serves 4)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut in cubes
- 6 carrots, washed well and cut in chunks
- 4 parsnips, washed well and cut in chunks
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 3” piece of kombu
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- soup stock or filtered water to cover the vegetables
Put all the ingredients in a large pan covered with soup stock or water. Bring the soup to a boil, and turn the flame down to simmer for 1 hour.
When the vegetables are soft, remove the kombu, cut in small pieces and return to the soup.
Using a potato masher, mash the vegetables into a coarse purée. Or you can purée completely with an immersion blender.
Serve and enjoy.