Rich with flavour from the veggies and deeply satisfying from the beans and lentils, this has quickly become one of our favourites.
Beet & Bean Soup (Serves 4) Adapted from Deborah Madison
- 4 medium beets, diced
- 1/2 cup green lentils, washed and drained
- 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
- 1 bunch beet greens or chard, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
Add lentils and beets to 7 cups water or homemade soup stock. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
Add kidney beans and chickpeas in their own liquid if salt free. If you drain them, add a cup of more of filtered water.
Add beet greens or chard and simmer until greens are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
Add scallions, spinach and parsley and cook until spinach is wilted and bright green (2-3 minutes).
Turn off heat and add ground black pepper. Stir well and serve.