Simple, hearty and healthy, this black bean recipe is great as a main dish, or a side complimenting brown rice and steamed greens.
Summer Black Beans (Serves 2)
- 1 cup dried black beans, sorted, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 large fresh garden tomatoes, cut in cubes
- 1 cup mixed sweet peppers, diced (I love to use a mix of yellow, orange and red)
- Purified water to cover beans by 1 inch of liquid
- 1 jalepéno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a large pan, add oil, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until onion is soft.
Add peppers and tomatoes.
Add the black beans. purified water and cook until the beans are soft. This often takes 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
When the beans are soft, add oregano, red pepper flakes or Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, black pepper and sea salt to taste as well as the juice of 1 lime. Stir well and let cook for 10 minutes and serve.