This gravy is amazing. It is so rich and flavourful, we actually prefer it to any of the gravies we ever had that were made from meat or poultry.
- 12 mushrooms (crimini is our favourite), sliced or diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons tamari (add more before serving if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups purified water
- 3 tablespoons kuzu*
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Mrs. Dash "Extra Spicy"
Add oil, salt, mushrooms, onion and garlic to a large frying pan. Cook on medium heat until onions are transparent.
Add tamari, black pepper and purified water and bring to a slow boil.
When vegetables are soft and mixture is boiling, add kuzu to a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of cold water and mix well to dissolve completely.
Slowly pour the kuzu mixture into the boiling liquid, stirring as you pour. Keep stirring until the liquid is clear and thickened, approximately 3-5 minutes.
Taste and adjust the saltiness with more tamari if needed.
* kuzu, also known as kudzu, is a thickener commonly used in Japanese and Macrobiotic cooking. It is from the root of the kuzu plant. It has many healthy benefits including being a digestive aid. It can be found in most health food stores. You can also use equal amounts of arrowroot or corn starch as a substitute.