Green Lentil Stew (Serves 4)
- 2 cups Green Lentils or French Green Lentils, sort, wash, drain and add to large soup pan
- Purified water to cover lentils by 2 to 3 inches
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, cut in diagonal slices 1/4″ thick
- 3 red skin potatoes, cut in hearty cubes
- 3 to 4 Jerusalem artichokes (sun chokes), scrub well and cut in cubes
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1/4″ half moons
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash “Extra Spicy” or red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- sea salt to taste (approximately 1 teaspoon)
- 4 collard leaves cut fine like confetti , to add just before serving
In large pan add lentils, purified water, onion, garlic and celery. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low. Let cook as you wash and cut carrots, potato and Jerusalem artichokes.
Add these vegetables and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. The last 15 minutes of cooking add zucchini.
When lentils are tender, add finely cut collard leaves, Mrs. Dash or red pepper flakes, black pepper, avocado oil and sea salt to taste.
This is a delicious dish with steamed green beans or asparagus on the side, or a beautiful salad with tomato, cucumber, avocado, and radishes. Try dressing the salad with balsamic vinegar and nutritional yeast. Enjoy.