If you haven't tried garlic scapes, try them to make this Pesto. And you can cut some of the scapes in 2 inch long pieces and add them to your pasta dish as well.
Garlic Scape Pesto (Oil Free)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes, 3 inch lengths
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional, replace with 1 tablespoon sumac)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews
Place all ingredients except the filtered water in a food processor. Add the filtered water last and pulse a number of times, then mix well until you reach desired consistency.
Season with additional salt or sumac, if needed. Use on your favorite pasta or freeze in a tub for future use.