This is a wonderful fermented dish. It can be used to feed the microbiome. So worth making.
Fermented Seed Cheese
- 1 cup hulled raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 cups filtered water
Sort the seeds on a plate and remove any orange, yellow or dis-colored seeds. These are often rancid.
Soak sunflower and pumpkin seeds in separate bowls in filtered water overnight.
In the morning rinse sunflower seeds in very warm water to remove skins and drain.
Rinse pumpkin seeds and add both seeds to your blender. Add 3 cups of filtered water and blend 1 minute.
Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with netting. Secure the netting with a rubber band and set in a warm place. Let stand for 6 to 8 hours.
After 6 to 8 hours, remove the netting and scrape off the top, oxidized brownish layer and discard.
Pour the remaining cheese into a large piece of netting to create a bag, sealed at the top with a rubber band.
Set the bag on wooden chopsticks or spoons in a bowl to drain overnight in refrigerator. In the morning you have seed cheese.
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 bunch diced green onion, cut in diagonal slices
- 3 stalks diced celery
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Mrs. Dash "Extra Spicy"
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional, replace with 1 teaspoon sumac)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar (or more to taste).
A delightful way to eat seed cheese is topping a salad or stuffed in half a red pepper.