Cranberry Rice Salad (Serves 2)
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ cup oat groats
- ½ cup dried cranberries (buy the ones sweetened with apple juice, not sugar)
- 3 cups filtered water
- Salad greens of your choice, chopped into small pieces
- 350 g bag frozen peas
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into small pieces
Add the rice, oat groats, cranberries and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
Instant Pot method: Add the grain, cranberries and water to an Instant Pot and pressure cook for 22 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
When the grain and cranberries are cooked, fill individual salad bowls with your leafy greens or salad lettuces. You can even use cooked greens if you like.
Add ½ bag of frozen peas to each salad, followed by and the yellow peppers.
Finally, add a few big spoons of the rice and cranberry mix. It’s a nice contrast to have this salad while the rice is still warm, but it’s delicious with it at room temperature or even chilled from the fridge.
Dress with oil free Creamy Balsamic Dressing (recipe below)
Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- 1 - 15 ounce can of Cannellini beans
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 4 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- ¾ cup filtered water
- 2 fresh garlic cloves or 2 to 3 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb no salt seasoning
Add all ingredients to high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Keep in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.