Black Beans with Mexican spices is one of the best bean dishes we know. These are just the right blend of chili and spices to please the whole family.
You can serve them as a main dish or wrapped in a corn tortilla with avocado, lettuce and salsa.
Black Beans (Serves 4 - 6)
- 4 cups black beans, sorted on a plate, washed and soaked overnight in filtered water
- 3” piece of kombu
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash “Extra Spicy”
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (optional)
- sea salt to taste (optional, replace with sumac to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional as garnish)
- 1 lime (optional)
Drain beans and put in a pan, add filtered water to cover beans by 1”. Add kombu, onion, garlic and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until beans are soft.
Twenty minutes before beans are soft add Mrs. Dash, cumin, coriander and chili powder.
When beans are soft add avocado oil (optional), sea salt or sumac and ground pepper.
Cook 5 more minutes and serve, garnished with cilantro (optional) and a squeeze of lime.
Instant Pot method:
Add everything but no salt in the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 11 minutes letting it come down naturally. Can use sumac in the Instant Pot to replace salt. Remove the lid, add the sea salt (optional), replace with sumac) and mix well.
Serve with cilantro (optional) and a squeeze of lime.