It's winter time and there's nothing like a hearty bean and vegetable soup to make us feel warm and cozy.
This is a great recipe, adapted from Forks over Knives, that provides all the amazing benefits of beans, veggies and dark leafy greens in a wonderfully flavourful combination. And keep in mind the wide range of benefits that beans offer. They're not just delicious in this soup, but they support our health, longevity and natural weight loss.
They have lots of fibre, so they're
- Heart healthy, lowering cholesterol and triglycerides
- They feed the microbiome, increasing our immune response and adding vitamins and minerals from within our gut
- Very low on the glycemic index, keeping our blood sugar level healthy
- Help reduce risk of cancer
So, it's hard to argue with the healthy (and delicious) benefits of beans.
We just had the soup for lunch and it was delicious! Give it a try. It's a whole meal in one dish. We always like the simplicity of that.
To your Amazing Health,
Connie and Bill
White Bean & Kale Soup (Serves 4) *Adapted from Forks Over Knives
- 3 cups cooked lima, or butter beans, or cannellini beans (two 15 ounce cans drained)
- 5 cups vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, cut in chunky rounds
- 1 bunch kale, tear leaves away from stems and finely dice top of stems
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- ½ lemon, juiced
Add onion, garlic and carrots to vegetable stock in a large pan. Cook until all are tender (approximately 10 minutes).
Add cooked beans, kale and spices. Cook until kale is tender (approximately 10 minutes).
Take pan off stove. Add hemp hearts and lemon juice. Stir well and serve.