I love coming up with new flavors and tastes when I cook split peas and lentils.. This is a keeper.
Split Pea Garden Patch Soup (Serves 4)
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed well
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, cut chunky
- 3 Poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 Hot Pepper, seeded and diced (optional and totally necessary if you like hot)
- 1 zucchini, cut in cubes
- 1/2 bunch parsley, minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt (optional, replace with sumac) and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups filtered water of vegetable broth
Add washed split peas, veggie broth or filtered water, onion, garlic and celery to a large pan. Bring to a boil, cover and turn to a low boil. (Split Peas take 1 to 1 1/2 hours to become soft and creamy.)
Add carrots, peppers and zucchini when prepped. Stir, cover and continue cooking on a low boil.
When split peas are fully cooked, add parsley, cilantro, oil (optional) salt or sumac and ground pepper. Stir.
Continue cooking until parsley and cilantro are soft. Serve and enjoy.