I love coming up with new flavors and tastes when I cook split peas and lentils.. This is a keeper.
Split Pea Garden Patch Soup (Serves 4)
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed well
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, cut chunky
- 3 Poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 Hot Pepper, seeded and diced (optional and totally necessary if you like hot)
- 1 zucchini, cut in cubes
- 1/2 bunch parsley, minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste (Start with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper)
- 6 cups purified water of vegetable broth
Add washed split peas, veggie broth or purified water, onion, garlic and celery to a large pan. Bring to a boil, cover and turn to a low boil. (Split Peas take 1 to 1 1/2 hours to become soft and creamy.)
Add carrots, peppers and zucchini when prepped. Stir, cover and continue cooking on a low boil.
When split peas are fully cooked, add parsley, cilantro, oil, salt and ground pepper. Stir.
Continue cooking until parsley and cilantro are soft. Serve and enjoy.