Roasted Garden Vegetable Casserole (Serves 4)
- 2 cups cooked whole grain
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, cut in half moons
- 3 red peppers, diced
- 3 orange peppers, diced
- 3 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, drizzled over eggplant
- 5 large garden tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste Parchment paper
Layer the cooked whole grain on the bottom of an 8 x 12 baking dish. Add the garlic evenly over the rice and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In one add eggplant, half the peppers, half the red onion and the avocado oil. Sprinkle well with sea salt and ground black pepper.
In the second cookie sheet add zucchini, the remaining pepper and red onion. Sprinkle well with sea salt and ground black pepper.
Cook both cookie sheet ingredients at 380 F for 1 hour.
In a medium pan, add cubed tomatoes, sage, oregano, sea salt and ground black pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft and mash with a potato masher.
Add the ingredients from the two cookie sheets into the baking dish and cover with mashed tomatoes.
Bake the casserole at 350 F for 45 minutes and serve.