This is inspired by a recipe from Mary McDougall, Dr. John McDougall's wife. Absolutely delicious, richly filled with flavour and texture. Thank you Mary, we have enjoyed this numerous times.
Bean & Rice Salad adapted from Mary McDougall (Serves 4 - 6)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained (Eden brand uses no salt)
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained (Eden brand uses no salt, if salted, rinse beans)
- 1 bunch scallions, diced on the diagonal
- 3 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- 2 large avocados, diced (for garnish)
- 1 lime, juiced over avocado (for garnish)
In a large bowl add rice and all other ingredients except avocado and lime. Stir and mix well.
Prepare large individual salad bowls with lettuce greens in the bottom and scoop salad on top.
Garnish each salad with avocado and lime juice.