Navy Bean Vegetable Soup (Serves 4-6)
- 2 cups dry navy beans sorted and soaked for 8 hours
- 4¼ cups low sodium vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, cut in ½ inch rounds
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ground black pepper to taste
- 5 to 6 kale leaves torn in small pieces away from stem
- 1 cup cooked whole grain
- Optional (non-SOS-Free): 1 tablespoon miso, dissolved in ¼ cup filtered water
Drain the navy beans and add to Instant Pot with 4 cups of vegetable broth or filtered water. Reserve the extra ¼ cup for cooking the vegetables.
Pressure cook for 10 minutes and let pressure release naturally.
In a separate large pan add the remaining ¼ cup vegetable stock or filtered water. Add onion, garlic and celery. Cook until onion is soft.
Add carrots, red pepper, turmeric, oregano and marjoram and ground black pepper. Cook until vegetables are just turning soft.
Add cooked beans with the cooking stock, whole grain and the kale. Cook until kale wilts (approximately 5 minutes.)
Optional, if using miso: Mix miso in ¼ cup of vegetable stock or filtered water. Stir until it dissolves. Turn soup off and add miso. Stir well and serve.