This is a one-dish meal and very tasty as well as filling. Enjoy.
Millet Black Bean Mexican Salad (Serves 2 as a Meal) *Adapted from Emma Roche
- 2 cups cooked millet*
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ Jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, grated or 2 smaller carrots grated
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes or Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy
- 2 whole lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons date paste or 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 large head of Romaine or leafy lettuce
- optional: green sriracha sauce or 4 oz. can of chopped green chilis for extra zip
Mix lemon juice with date paste or maple syrup, garlic powder and red pepper flakes or Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy in a small bowl.
Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl, pour lemon juice mixture over them and stir well.
Make a bed of lettuce on each plate or bowl, top with the veggie mix and sriracha sauce (if using it)
* Millet needs more water to cook than most grains or it is very dry. We recommend 2½ to 3 cups of water for each cup of millet. So to get 2 cups of cooked millet, add 1 cup millet to 2½ to 3 cups of water in a pan. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 40 minutes.