Kim Chi 2
- 1 medium napa cabbage, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in half moons
- 5 garlic cloves, cut in thin slices
- 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut in thin slices
- 4 carrots, cut in matchsticks
- 1 Daikon radish or 2 salad turnips, cut in matchsticks
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 6 tiny hot red peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 kale leaves, torn away from stem in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy (depending on how hot you like it)
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Massage salt and spices into the vegetables. Massage until there is juice in the bottom of the bowl (approximately 4 to 5 minutes).
Pack veggies and juice into a glass jar and press down with a wooden spoon until the juice begins to cover the Kim Chi. I put a glass of water into the jar to weight the veggies down and bring the juices up to cover veggies. When the juices cover vegetables, replace the glass of water with a clean stone.
Place a plate or bowl under the glass jar to catch any juices that may overflow as it is fermenting on your counter. Close the lid on the jar, but don’t screw it on tight. Leave some room for juices to bubble up and overflow as the Kim Chi cures.
Let ferment from 5 days to one week.
Serve over a baked potato or as a small portion with lunch and dinner.