Hummus is a delicious and "multi-talented" dish. We love it with veggies sticks, on Corn Thins with avocado, atop a baked potato, and we even thin it with lemon juice or water to make a salad dressing.
Hummus (Serves 2 - 4)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-28 oz. (or 2 – 15 oz.) cans of cooked garbanzo beans, drain off half the liquid
- 2 tablespoons tahini or 1/2 cup unhulled sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons umeboshi paste or 3/4 teaspoon sea salt plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup stock from the cooked beans or purified water
In a small bowl, juice the lemon and add the peeled garlic. Set aside for 5 minutes. This takes the edge off the raw garlic for a smoother tasting hummus.
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend thoroughly until a smooth paste is achieved.
Add additional vegetable stock or purified water if the mixture is too thick and chunky.
- Roasted Red Pepper
- Roasted Garlic
- 1/2 cup cooked beets plus an extra sprinkle of sea salt