If you haven't tried garlic scapes, try them to make this Pesto. And you can cut some of the scapes in 2 inch long pieces and add them to your pasta dish as well.
Garlic Scape Pesto
- 1 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes, 3 inch lengths
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted whole almonds
- 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
- 3 - 4 tablespoons purified water
- 2/3 cup vegan cheese (access recipe here)
Place all ingredients except the purified water and vegan cheese in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the purified water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.
Add half the vegan cheese and pulse a few more times. Use the remaining cheese on top the dish before serving.
Season with additional salt, if needed. Store in the refrigerator and use on your favorite pasta within 2 days.